Remote Desktop Problems
"The remote session was disconnected"
When connecting to the Austin server or when running the Remote Software shortcuts you might come accross the following message "The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop client access licenses available for this computer. Please contact the system administrator". The following instructions will explain how to fix this problem.
- Windows XP users, click on Start > Run and type regedit and press Enter.
- Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, click on start and directly type regedit
- The regedit untility will open
- Navigate (Expand) to the following registry key (Please take utmost care here, as the changes made cannot be undone, unless you have taken a backup of registry files):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – Software – Microsoft – MSLicensing
- Right click on MSLicensing folder and click on Delete.
- Restart your machine and try the Remote Desktop Connection again. This should have solved the problem.
- However if you now get the message "The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol", you need to right click the “Remote Desktop Connection” icon and click on “Run as administrator”. It should now run.
- If you have any problems with this solution or need help with it, please email email@example.com or ring extension 48160
- © 2014 University of Cambridge Faculty of Economics, Sidgwick Ave, Cambridge, CB3 9DD
Information provided by firstname.lastname@example.org